Photo Gallery

Antelope Campground

Our viewers have given Antelope Campground a 5 star rating from 2 reviews.
Want to share your opinion? Rate and Comment Below

It is hard not to be biased when writing this review because Antelope Campground is one of my favorite spots to camp. A lot of fond memories were made at this campground while our kids were little. We had to make at least one visit each summer, and some years it was more often than that. It is only a couple hours or so from the Treasure Valley, and it reminds me of my home in Southern Oregon. It is heavily wooded with pine trees and is located along the north shoreline of Sagehen Reservoir. The area around Sagehen Reservoir is one of the better areas for huckleberry picking. In late summer, you can enjoy fresh huckleberry pancakes made from huckleberries picked near your campsite. We normally use Krusteaz pancake mix when we go camping. Make your cakes as you would normally until you have poured the batter onto your skillet. Then sprinkle 12 to 18 huckleberries on each pancake. Finish cooking in your usual way and serve them with a thin coating of butter and sprinkle sugar over the top. Yum! Antelope Campground is very popular in the summer and you should reserve your site ahead of time, but some sites are on a first come first served basis. If you get there and the camping sites are in use, you can usually find a place to camp in the area. There are several campgrounds along the shore, Cartwright Ridge Campground on the hill above and Antelope Loop across the road. Sagehen Creek Campground and Hollywood Point Campground across the lake as well as many off-road areas if you are self-contained. ATV's are used a lot in the area but not much in the campgrounds. Temperatures run between 80° and 90° in the summer. For those of you interested in Native American history, I have found chips of obsidian along the shore between Antelope Campground and the dam. Definite arrowhead making workings. Remember to look only, we are not allowed to remove such artifacts.

Campsites: Antelope Campground has 20 campsites with 1 group site for up to 30 people. The sites are irregular and nestled among trees with most of them having plenty of privacy. The sites include a fire pit, standing barbecue grill, and a picnic table. There are places to put a tent or you can park an RV. Some sites can handle bigger RV's than others, but there are no electric hookups. There is a host on site.

Water: There is water in the campground. I wouldn't drink it although it is suppose to be safe for drinking. It doesn't look that great either.

Garbage Services: You must carry out your own garbage from Antelope Campground.

Electricity Available: There is no electricity at Antelope Campground.

Restroom: There are vault style toilets throughout the campground which are handicap accessible. They are maintained daily.

Recreation: In addition to the fishermen trails, there is a nature trail near Sagehen Creek Campground, and there is a hiking trail that leads to the dam.

Fishing: There is great trout fishing at Sagehen Reservoir. There are trails along the shoreline which allow easy access for the fisherman. We have caught fish from both the shoreline and the boat. If you are up to a challenge, try the creek below the road!

Boating: There is a dock and boat ramp at Antelope Campground. Motorized boats are welcome, however, there is a speed limit and no skiing is allowed at Sagehen Reservoir. Extra parking is available near the marina area.

Swimming: Families do swim near the dock and along the shoreline near the dock. It can be very refreshing on those hot summer days. There is no life guard on duty.

Wildlife: We have actually seen black bear in the area a couple times. They have never been aggressive, they just like getting into the garbage. We have also seen osprey, deer, and a lot of friendly squirrels, ground squirrels and chipmunks. The kids have enjoyed watching the tiny frogs as well as bigger frogs down by the water.

Fee Schedule: As of April 2017 Single campsites are $15 and the group campsite is $65 per day.

Campground Reservations: You may reserve your campsite at regreation.gov.

Phone service: There is not a telephone at Antelope Campground. You can get cell reception in a couple small areas and then only if you hold your phone just right! You may have to drive around a bit to get it and it depends on your carrier as to whether you can get reception at all.

Location/Driving instructions: From Horseshoe Bend, take Highway 52, 9 miles west to the junction with the Sweet/Ola Highway. Turn north and travel 16 miles to Ola, Idaho. Travel north through Ola and follow the signs, 18 miles to Sagehen Reservoir. Paved road turns to gravel a few miles north of Ola. It turns back to pavement 2 miles from Antelope Campground.

Coordinates: 44.334391,-116.185583

Elevation: 4994 Feet

Reviewed: February 2010

This information is accurate as of the date of the review.

7 Day forecast for Antelope Campground

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
High: 32°F High: 35°F High: 34°F High: 37°F High: 30°F High: 30°F High: 34°F
Partly cloudy until afternoon. Partly cloudy starting in the evening. Partly cloudy throughout the day. Partly cloudy until afternoon. Snow (1–2 in.) overnight. Snow (1–2 in.) overnight. Snow (2–4 in.) until afternoon.
7% chance of snow 8% chance of snow 10% chance of snow 10% chance of snow 13% chance of snow 43% chance of snow 57% chance of snow
Low: 17°F Low: 23°F Low: 24°F Low: 21°F Low: 23°F Low: 20°F Low: 21°F
Powered by Dark Sky

Comments

Pam Nielsen:

Love Antelope Campground! It is a great place to take the family, bring your bikes, and other toys. There are paved roads to ride bikes, plenty of off road trails to hike, and water to play in. Huckleberry picking is also great if you go during the right season. 
May 27, 2017 10:30 pm
Hamilton:

This is what all campgrounds should look like.  The sounds of birds echos in the forest.  It's amazing! Gorgeous dense woods, beautiful scenery, 5 star hiking trails, one around the reservoir, and other one, across the road.  Strikingly beautiful!
June 20, 2017 2:54 pm

Your E-mail will NEVER be given away for any reason!