Photo Gallery

Bull Trout Campground

No one has reviewed this Campground. Be the first to review!
Want to share your opinion? Rate and Comment Below

Bull Trout Campground reopens Boise, Idaho, August 11, 2017 -- The Boise National Forest, Lowman Ranger District has reopened Bull Trout Campground and the surrounding dispersed recreation areas along the NFS road 520 after being closed for almost two weeks. That's good news for visitor's who planned to camp and watch the solar eclipse. District employees have contacted campers that had reservations to get them re-booked. For new reservations until Aug. 15 call the Lowman Ranger District at 208-259-3361. Reservations after Aug. 15 will be made through www.recreation.gov The closure was prompted when two bears began to regularly visit the area foraging for food. Idaho State Fish and Game caught one bear which was euthanized because it had lost fear of humans, destroyed private property and posed a potential threat to public safety. The second bear seems to have left the area. "This year, bears appear more prone toward human contact. In spite of heavy precipitation expe

Bull Trout Campground is near the Sawtooth National Recreation Area with an elevation of 6900 feet. Summer time temperatures are up to 90° but the nights will almost always be cool. This is beautiful alpine country, with abundant wildlife and scenic vistas. The campground varies from densely treed, to more open and flat, to hilly near the lake. One of the cool things about this campground is that there is a large area outside the campground for free camping if you are self-contained. Some of these "sites" are very inviting and are situated around three other small stocked lakes. There are several other nearby campgrounds.

Campsites: There are 34 RV camping sites. 15 are on Bull Trout Lake and 16 - 34 at Martin Lake, of which 6 are double sites (up to 16 people) and 2 group sites which can accommodate up to 50 persons. There are equestrian facilities for you horsemen out there, sites 35 -38.

Water: There is drinking water available by hand pumps.

Garbage Services: Garbage service is available.

Restroom: There are restrooms scattered about. All are vault/outhouse style, clean and well maintained.

Handicap Accessible: The campground is handicap accessible.

Pets: Pets must be kept on a leash.

Recreation: Whether you want to hike, bike, ATV, ride your horses, practice your photography, fish or hunt, you will find what you are looking for in this area.

Fishing: There is a variety of fishing near Bull Trout Campground. Within 10 miles there is the So Fork of the Payette River, Knapp Creek, Valley Creek, Beaver Creek, Marsh Creek and Warm Springs Creek, just to name some of them. Fishing is available in Bull Trout Lake, Martin Lake and two other lakes or nearby waterways for rainbow trout, cutthroat trout and brook trout. Check your fishing regulations for the different waters.

Boating: is limited to non-motorized.

Additional Camping Opportunities: There are several other lakes nearby, some of which have primitive camping for free. We camped at this lake in July 2010. Campsites are right on the lake, probably 8 groups can fit around it. There is plenty of firewood for the gathering. The lake is stocked in the spring, and we caught 14 nice trout and released a few more. I am not sure how well the water level will hold up late in the season. There are no improvements or toilets. However, the Bull Trout Campground is just a mile away where there are vault style outhouses and water from hand pump wells. The kids really enjoyed the swimming!

Fee Schedule: As of April 2017 fees are; $15.00 single, $30.00 double and $75.00 per group site. Camping season is July through September.

Campground Reservations: 15 sites are reservable at phone: 1-877-444-6777 | link: www.recreation.gov

Phone service: There is no phone service or cell phone reception at Bull Trout Campground.

Nearby Services: Services are available at Lowman (limited) or Stanley, Idaho. It is a good drive if you run out of any supply.

Location/Driving instructions: From Lowman, Idaho, travel northeast on Highway 21 for 34 miles then 2 miles on forest road 250. From Stanley, Idaho, travel southwest on Highway 21 23.8 miles then turn right onto forest road 250 for 2 miles to Bull Trout Lake Campground.

Coordinates: 44.302245,-115.258927

Elevation: 6969 Feet

Reviewed: July 2010

This information is accurate as of the date of the review.

7 Day forecast for Bull Trout Campground

Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday
High: 30°F High: 32°F High: 30°F High: 21°F High: 23°F High: 28°F High: 28°F
Snow (< 1 in.) in the morning. Partly cloudy in the morning. Snow (< 1 in.) starting in the evening. Mostly cloudy throughout the day. Light snow (< 1 in.) overnight. Mostly cloudy until afternoon. Snow (1–2 in.) starting in the evening.
32% chance of snow 7% chance of snow 23% chance of snow 30% chance of snow 13% chance of snow 42% chance of snow 45% chance of snow
Low: 17°F Low: 12°F Low: 13°F Low: 10°F Low: 5°F Low: 12°F Low: 18°F
Powered by Dark Sky

Comments

Be The First To Comment!

Your E-mail will NEVER be given away for any reason!