Photo Gallery

Smokey Bear Campground

No one has reviewed this Campground. Be the first to review!
Want to share your opinion? Rate and Comment Below

Smokey Bear Campground is located on the north shore of Alturas Lake with an elevation just over 7000 feet. The lake and Sawtooth Mountains are beautiful. There are many outdoor activities available for your entertainment. This is a great area for your vacation. Terri and I camped here in July of 2009 and thoroughly enjoyed the area. We noticed the campers were friendly, helpful and social. Many of them seemed to be return campers.

Campsites: Smokey Bear Campground has 12 RV camping sites. Each has a picnic table and fire ring with a grill attached. There is firewood available. There is no electricity or dump site so come prepared. There is a picnic area/group site on the east end of the campground with a beach and boat ramp.

Water: Drinking water is available in Smokey Bear Campground.

Garbage Services: Garbage service is available.

Restroom: There are two vault/outhouse style restrooms. One is by the beach, the other in the center of the camping sites.

Handicap Accessible: The restrooms are handicap accessible.

Pets: Pets are not allowed on the beach area.

Recreation: People come here to swim, boat, picnic, camp, fish, practice their photography, hike, ride their ATVs or just enjoy the beach. Check out the picture I took of the "pond with sawtooth mountains" at the bottom of this page. There are many such views within a short distance. Backpacking is fabulous throughout the Sawtooth National Recreation Area.

Fishing: Fishing is available in Alturas Lake, Alturas Lake Creek both above and below the lake as well as Perkins Lake just downstream. The Salmon River is available only a few miles away. I fished this lake from a raft and found the most action along the north shore just south of Alturas Lake Inlet Campground. The lake seems a little darker there. Maybe more fish feed there.

Hiking: There are several hikes in this area, however, I have only reviewed the hike to Cabin Creek Lakes.

Wildlife: We saw no sign that there were bear troubles, however, we did hear of an issue involving a dog and some wolves in a nearby campground. This area has deer, elk, cougar (hard to find), mountain goat, mountain sheep, birds of all sorts and many other smaller animals.

Fee Schedule: Fees for 2010 have not been published but will probably be $15.00 per night for a RV camping site, with $5.00 for an extra vehicle.

Campground Reservations: This campground is not reservable, first come first serve. Come early! We arrived on Tuesday and were fortunate to get the last site.

Phone service: There is no pay phone at the campground.

Nearby Services: Services are available within 10 miles at Sawtooth City.

Location/Driving instructions: From Stanley, Idaho, take Highway 75, turn onto Forest Road 205 (Alturas Lake Rd.) Approx 3 miles to Alturas Lake Inlet Campground.

Coordinates: 43.9202800,-114.8611100

Elevation: 7043 Feet

Reviewed: July 2010

This information is accurate as of the date of the review.

7 Day forecast for Smokey Bear Campground

Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday
High: 58°F High: 61°F High: 69°F High: 62°F High: 51°F High: 51°F High: 59°F
Mostly cloudy throughout the day. Light rain starting in the afternoon, continuing until evening. Partly cloudy in the morning. Mostly cloudy throughout the day. Mostly cloudy throughout the day. Partly cloudy until evening. Clear throughout the day.
63% chance of rain 66% chance of rain 19% chance of rain 21% chance of rain 30% chance of rain 49% chance of rain 48% chance of rain
Low: 34°F Low: 40°F Low: 40°F Low: 39°F Low: 35°F Low: 33°F Low: 35°F
Powered by Dark Sky


Be The First To Comment!

Your E-mail will NEVER be given away for any reason!